Don't Miss Any of the Conversation

Don't miss any of the conversation! Join us at the new home of the Ancient Journey Blog

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to my real interest...

Here is a link to a great post by church planter/ author / theologian David Fitch.

Missional Misstep addresses the problem associated with communicating a "big gospel." When salvation is about more than just the individual's heaven/hell destination, it becomes cosmic in scope (which is a good thing). 

However, things that are cosmic in scope are, by definition, big. And big things are often hard to describe in a 30 second sound bite, which can lead to this big gospel appearing inaccessible to people caught up in the whirlwind of life. And this should never be the case. So what do we do?

Check out the article and let me know what you think. 

I recently read Fitch's book, The Great Giveaway which, overall, is fantastic. I have a very short review of the book on Mission Alive's website. (I'll post it here tomorrow)

To be totally honest this is probably not a book that I would recommend to ALL my friends because it can be a pretty heavy read (though there are sections and chapters that I'll be passing along to some of you). 

However, if you are an academic type, a frustrated church leader or if you're planting/thinking of planting a church, then do not miss this book

Perhaps its greatest value is the way it challenges our connection to Modernity/Enlightenment culture while also calling us to maintain connection to the historic church, Scripture and even liturgy. 



No comments: